Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Joyas Voladoras: My Take

Recently, we read and analyzed of Brian Doyle's Joyas Voladoras. It was quite interesting. I never thought to look at the heart as not only physically complex, but also complex in purpose. Unlike the rest of my female classmates, it didn't tug on my heart strings and make me feel a certain way. I was simply interested in it because if its educational content. I loved the transitions throughout. The transition between a small infinitesimal- sorry, I love that word- creatures like humming birds to the the colossal and mysterious blue whale. Towards the end, it begins to talk about hearts less scientifically, and more emotionally. Like the ones we break, mend, draw, purify, open, and shield during our lifetimes. It made connections to what made us human, like what I spoke about in my other post. Previously, I had mentioned that DNA and a conscience are what really and truly made us human. In Joyas Voladoras, the hummingbird's heart is only spoken about scientifically, sharing facts about the hummingbirds life. The same was done with the Blue Whale, although the author suggested that this creature may be more complex than we will ever know, solely because after a little bit, they disappear from the human ken. But I noticed that when it came to talking about the human heart, it was immediately about pain, love, hurt, etc. The mood changed from a science textbook, to a diary. A diary about love and disappointment and tragedy. A diary about fixing and patching and shattering. A diary about what we want that we never get, and what we get that we never want. A diary about you.

So I have officially changed my mind. Emotion has a lot o do with what makes you, me, and everyone else human. Because as humans, we are not only complex in the brain, but complex in the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment