Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dasani and the Fam- My Take

I Think that Dasani and her family were a great story to share, a raw and telling reality of a homeless family in Brooklyn, just trying to make it out of the shelter system. With eight children it was a struggle and it it really showed with constant altercations, whether it be verbal of physical. I loved how real it seemed, until part five. 

Do I want to see Dasani and her family succeed?

Absolutely.

But is it a bit too optimistic?

I think so.

Towards the beginning, many of my questions were directed towards the lack of assistance, attention, and care Dasani's family seemed to be getting. Towards the end I started to question what they WERE getting. Many of my main inquiries include:

- Why couldn't they live with Sherry?
- Shouldn't there be volunteer positions offered for the shelter?
- Why weren't inspections made more thoroughly, and even if they were, why weren't penalties carried out for ignoring/breaking laws?

Then:

-Why did how did Dasani and her family magically acquire an apartment near Harlem?
- Why did officials oddly begin to take interest in the safety of Auburn's residents once Aisha's baby passed?
Though i'm not saying that I am not sincerely and truly happy Dasani & Co I just wish the focus from this series wasn't about only helping Dasani, but all the homeless children across the US, and the neglect and struggles they face everyday. Even though I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about how safe my home is of where my next meal is coming from, Dasani reminds my of myself in many ways. Her catty nature was much like mine when I was younger. I constantly got into spats with girls over who won the soccer game in gym or who's uniform looked the nicest. Conceited, I know. Yet I still managed to look cute and cuddly towards adults, flaunting my big brown eyes that took up to 1/3 of my face. Cute, I know. While I haven't exactly gotten in a physical altercation, I can have a sharp tongue and a pissy look in less time than I takes for me to actually realize what I'm saying. I giggled and chuckled during her little altercations while much of the class frowned of shook their heads in disbelief. But I've grown up from all that now and I hope Dasani does too, not following in get mothers angry footsteps. She always says the cutest things when she is in her right mind, not attempting to fight an overfed 7th grader. I'd tell her to keep her head up, seize all the opportunities that come her way, and to not always believe her mother , because shes not always telling the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment